Thursday, October 3, 2013

From Canada, with love

Travelling to France was long, but the flights were good. I arrived in Paris around 5AM New Brunswick time. It has been quite the whirlwind. First, let's appreciate that my plane had 63 rows. Yup. They actually had to shuttle us from the plane to the airport in Paris. It was a new plane though- so nice! And there was an empty seat next to me- SCORE!

This was the Moncton-Montreal flight...so pretty!

Let's talk about the flight into Paris for a second. It was absolutely beautiful. We flew over the country, which reminded me of the Prairies because it looked so flat and the fields were divided quite symmetrically. But it was so much more than that. The trees, the houses, the water. It was all just so Parisian. I cannot wait to explore!

Goodbye Canada and Bonjour France!

I was a bit disappointed, though, when I wasn't able to see the Eiffel Tower from the plane. I was expecting it to be more like Toronto, in that sense. When you fly in to TO, you can usually spot the CN Tower and the high-rises downtown. Not so much en Paris. That's okay, though- another excuse for me to come back to Paris at every chance that I get :)

Good news: Customs was a BREEZE! Anyone who is familiar with the London border debacle of 2012 will appreciate knowing that I was let in without any questions AT ALL! They just looked at my passport and let me in.

After making my way through the airport to the train station, I had to wait for my train. I was worried because it took me forever to make my way to the train terminal, but my train was delayed (HALLELUJAH). I would have loved to inform the wonderful woman who is picking me us about this change, but you only get 15mins of free WIFI in the airport. Letting Mom know that I arrived was higher priority- Love you Mom :)

After a late train, missed connection, and arriving at the wrong connection terminal, I made it to Calais. 20 hours after I left NB. It was long, but it was good.

The First Photo of Calais!

Anna, one of the teachers at my school, picked me up. She was so sweet. She took me to get some groceries and let me use her home computer to tell Mom I was in Calais. She even lent me towels so that I could shower. She has been nothing but helpful and sweet since then!

I had a long great travel day. The planes were mostly smooth and I sat by nice people. Remind me to tell you about the time that my luggage was 25lbs over the max max max that they accept. Funny story.

Finally I made it to France- the adventure begins!

1 comment: