Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Bise

Before coming to France, I had intended to spend my summer reading books about France. I got through two before the craziness that was my (fabulous) summer job took hold of my life: French Women don't Get Fat and French at Heart.

In French at Heart, the author talks about the Bise. it's a traditional French greeting. An air kiss on either cheek. Its soooooooo French ;) You also bise when you say goodbye.

It was my third day in France when I partook in my first Bise. We were at a dinner party at a teacher's house and her little sons, 8 &5, gave all of us assistants our first bise. It was adorable.

Since then, I have been trying to figure out the rules of the bise. When do you have to do it? With whom? When you first meet someone? Only with friends? Who initiates it?

I've just been flying off the seat of my pants with this one. It's fun though and the bise makes me feel like a true femme française.

Be careful, this may become a thing when I return. Les Bises for everyone!!

1 comment: