Monday, March 17, 2014

Roma- Day Two

It was the first day of 2014 and I was feeling fresh and ready for a new year- what better way to start a year than the place where the great Roman Empire was built. Seems like a good place for new beginnings and great things.

I got up early and went for a stroll past the Colosseo, Arco di Costantino and the Roman Forum. Just sitting there, outside the Forum, I was able to reflect on 2013. A year of endings, beginnings, and the in-between. But I won't bore you with the highlights of my 2013.

Here are some of my favourite photos of the walk:


After a few hours in the apartment reading, writing, and just relaxing...


The boys invited me for a Cappuccino at the Colosseo. It was every bit as fabulous as it sounds. Just us and some caffeine sitting on some ancient stones, watching the tourists go by. Pure. Bliss.


It's odd to remember the history of the Colosseo- the gladiators, death and destruction. Now we visit this place and just relax there.


That is something that has really made me appreciate my travelling even more. I am able to visit these places. I am walking in streets that once saw so much bloodshed and violence. Wars have been fought here- Emperors have roamed. There has been love and loss. I have really been able to focus on the history in my travels. It's important to remember the history of the place- something that is often hard to do when you are surrounded by such beauty. We are so very lucky to live in the world that we do, but we cannot forget the history that got us to this point.


After a beautiful trattoria dinner with Lucia and Pablo, we decided to do Rome by night. We walked past the Colosseo, Vittorio Manuela Monument, down across the river, along the banks of the Tiber, up to the Vatican. It was a brilliant way to explore. Letting the moon guide us, we discovered a different side of Rome.

It was calm, cool, and stunning.

I will never forget the first time that I saw the Vatican. Wow.


The Christmas decor was still up- there weren't very many people around and the atmosphere was calm and reverent. I really felt amazed by the place. It was breathtaking.


It was beautiful and it was perfect.


I even said a little "Thank you" to the big guy upstairs for such an amazing night and prayed that it would be just as amazing in daylight when we made our way back the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment