Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pizza, Napoli, and Cannoli

Napoli- a city known for two things: it's pizza and it's strong gang culture. Comforting, eh?

I went for the pizza- but didn't rule out the possibility of some gang affiliations ;)

Although, we were only there for 2 nights, I feel in love with the gastronomy of Napoli. And by 'gastronomy,' I mean pizza. During our short stay, that is all we ate in Napoli- Pizza. Well, Pizza and pastry. But I digress.

We arrived later in the day. The train ride was just perfect. It was through the mountains and countryside. I was in a car without the others but with 5 other women. Most Italian, I think. There was even a nun. Reading the Pope's biography. Yup, That happened.


When we arrived in Naples this is what we saw:

Dodgy buildings and lasagna.

Strong start, Naples.

Then we came across a marketplace- an entire street of shops and fresh fruit and fish! It was exactly how I pictured Italian markets to be- full of fish and loads of people mulling around.

After getting settled in the B&B, Daniel, Diva, and I decided to spend some time exploring the city before our first feed of pizza.

I had my first cannoli. It was SO good.

The Italians know food.

So I thought.

Then I saw this:

A chips and hotdog pizza.

I thought that was bad and then this gem emerged:

A chips and hot dog sandwich. I just can't even.

After we overcame our astonishment of the chips and hotdogs 'masterpieces,' we saw a castle. We weren't able to go in, but we peaked around a little.

If you look across the water in Naples, the first thing you see is Mount Vesuvius. Vesuvius is best known for the eruption that completely obliterated Pompeii and is also one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world. There is a large population around the volcano and it is known to have small eruptions.

Dangerous, but man is it beautiful!


Our 'Night time in Naples' walk took us along the water, zipping along the streets and enjoying the beauty.

Our walk concluded at Gino Sorbillos. THE place to get pizza in Naples. We had 2 nights in Naples. And there are 2 Sorbillos- the original and the new one on the water. Logically, we planned to eat at both and compare.

We started at the new one along the water.

I ordered the antica margharita

Now, you may think that a pizza this size should be shared.

Nope.

We each got our own. And finished each one.

You don't go to Naples and leave pizza on the plate.

One of my favourite things about the menu is that they list the origins of the ingredients on the menu. And just about all of it is local!

Look at this beauty.

So thin and scrumptious. It tasted even better than it looked.

After all of that pizza, the boys ordered dessert.

I think Pablo's face says it all:

We ended the meal with a delicious glass of guappa.

A meal of champions!

Fun fact: they charged us to use the cutlery. We should have just gone with it and used our hands. We will know for next time.

Next time being just 24 hours later...

Pizza Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment